This month’s Recipe Redux is frozen desserts….yummmy! I know we could all use some tasty frozen desserts considering the abnormally high temperatures this summer. I love making use of my Kitchen Aid ice cream maker, so I decided to attempt coconut ice cream again (my first attempt was no bueno). I lightened up a coconut ice cream recipe I found on FoodNetwork.com and added a strawberry puree…because you gotta have some fruit with your dessert! The ice cream is creamy and smooth, you’d never know it was a low-fat version! Be sure to check out the other Recipe Redux links for frozen desserts at the bottom of this post. And in the words of Conan O’Brien, “Keep cool my babies!”.
Coconut-Ice Cream with Strawberry Puree
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup light coconut milk
3/4 cup coconut flakes
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup frozen strawberries
- Bring milk, cream, coconut milk and coconut flakes to simmer in a saucepan for 10 minutes. Allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until combined.
- Slowly pour hot milk mixture into egg yolks to temper the egg mixture, whisking continuously. Once the two mixtures are combined, pour back into saucepan over low heat. Continue to stir mixture until it starts to thicken and coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain mixture into a clean bowl to remove coconut flakes, pressing to release any liquid from coconut flakes.
- Chill in refrigerator.
- Once completely cooled, churn in a standard ice cream machine.
- Blend frozen strawberries in blender and drizzle over coconut ice cream!
Need more frozen dessert ideas? Pop over to these RD blogs!
- Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition Greek Yogurt Pavlova Popsicles
- Cherie Schetselaar – Grain Crazy Blackberry Lemon Almond Torte
- Emma Cutfield-The Hearty Heart Coconut Ice, Blueberry and Cocoa, Joint Healing Dessert
- Carlene Helble- Carlene’s Figments Peanut Butter Banana ‘Ice Cream’ Sandwich
- Janel Funk – Eat Well with Janel Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream
- Kat Lynch – Eating The Week Coconut Chia-Seed Fruit Pops
- Dr Barb, Nutrition Budgeteer Simply Fruit Mango-Pineapple Sorbet
- Rebecca Scritchfield – MeFirst 5-minute Frozen Peach Pie
- Gretchen – kumquat chocolate “ice cream” bars
- Emily Greenfield – The Nutriscientist Honey and strawberry semifreddo
- Liz Marr – Liz On Food Peach Lavender Ice Cream
- Elizabeth Jarrard- Don’t (White) Sugar-Coat It Adult Popsicles: Frozen Boozy Treats
- Regan – The Professional Palate Frozen Samoa Pie
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex – Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen Healthy Blueberry and Mango Snow Cones
- Jessica Fishman Levinson – Nutritioulicious Watermelon Sorbet
- Alexandra Caspero- Delicious Knowledge Mango & Coconut Popsicles
- Karman Meyer- Nutrition Adventures Coconut Ice Cream with Strawberry Puree
- Yuri – Chef Pandita Acerola Chia Lime Popsicles
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian Peanut Butter Coffee Popsicles
- EA Stewart-The Spicy RD Luscious Lemonade Pie
- Danielle Omar – Food Confidence RD Banana Soft Serve
- Katie Caputo- East Meats West Auntie Rosie’s Ice Cream Pie
- Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD Coffee Granita
- Kara Lydon – Peace, Love, and Food Peanut Butter Banana “Ice Cream” With Dark Chocolate
- Serena Ball- Teaspoon of Spice Splendid Key Lime Frozen Yogurt
- Nicole Ferring Holovach – Whole Health RD Peaches and Rum Ice Cream Pie
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense Peanut Butter Vanilla Soft Serve
- Jackie Mills – Delicious Diabetes Cooking Summer Fruit Popsicles
- Audra Losey – Nutrition Know How Mocha Pops
- Kristina LaRue – Love and Zest Frozen Berry Yogurt