Happy Spring! “First Shoots of Spring” is this month’s Recipe Redux theme, and we’re celebrating all the glory of tasty ingredients like garlic scapes, leeks, scallions, and asparagus. If you’re lucky enough to have a farmer’s market close to you, take advantage of it and pick up some of these seasonal, flavorful ingredients! You can try this Spring Green Pizza, along with all the other Redux recipes (found at the end of this post).
Spring Green Pizza
8 asparagus stalks, woody parts removed and sliced in half
1 cup baby Portobello mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
1 ready-to-use thin pizza crust (I used Mama Mary’s Thin & Crispy crust)
1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp. pesto
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup fresh baby spinach, rinsed
Fresh basil, chiffonade (need to learn how to chiffonade? watch this!)
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place sliced asparagus, mushrooms, and onions on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine ricotta, pesto and olive oil.
3. Prepare your pizza crust per package directions, then spread ricotta/pesto mixture on pizza crust.
4. Evenly distribute roasted asparagus, mushrooms, onions, and spinach around crust.
5. Top with desired amount of each cheese, and then sprinkle with basil.
6. Bake pizza per package directions, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted!