In the spirit of fall, this month’s Recipe Redux challenged us to create a recipe using fresh pumpkin. Like most people, when I think of cooking with the oh-so-familiar orange squash, I imagine opening a can of Libby’s canned pumpkin and making a typical fall treat, like pumpkin pie or bread. So this was truly an adventure to cook with the real deal!
While this recipe isn’t difficult, it does take some time. I suggest dicing the pumpkin and potatoes ahead of time, especially if you are making this for breakfast. The pumpkin provides a hint of sweet, the seasonings bring a touch of heat, and the bacon gives it all the flavor it needs to feel like a hearty breakfast!
Pumpkin-Potato Breakfast Hash
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1/3 cup chopped onion
3 slices low-sodium bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 small pie pumpkin, peeled and diced 1/4 inch
1 large white potato, diced 1/4 inch
1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
dash of nutmeg
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onions and bacon for 5 minutes.
2. Add potatoes and pumpkin to skillet. Add olive oil and stir to coat.
3. Add all spices and seasonings.
4. Cook hash over medium-low heat for 25 minutes, or until potatoes and pumpkin are tender.
5. Serve as a side or top with a fried egg!
- Cherie Schetselaar – Grain Crazy – Fresh Pumpkin Risotto
- Alexandra Caspero- Delicious Knowledge – Pumpkin Enchiladas
- Katie Hamm – Healthy & Happy Hour – Pumpkin-Bacon Ravioli
- Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD – Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Fries
- Everyday Tastiness – Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Dr Barb, Nutriton Budgeteer – Pumpkin Chili Chicken Pizza
- Elizabeth Jarrard- Don’t (White) Sugar Coat It – Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian – baked pumpkin oatmeal
- Marie Spano – Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Regan @ The Professional Palate – Pumpkin Ravioli in a Walnut-Sage Cider Sauce
- Danielle Omar – Food Confidence RD – Pumpkin Goulash
- Emma @ The Hearty Heart – (Vegan) Cocoa Pumpkin (Whiskey) Mousse
- gretchen – kumquat – baked mini pumpkins
- Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition – Recipe Redux Chermoula Chickpea & Pumpkin Sliders
- Janel Funk: Eat Well with Janel – Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Nicole @ Whole Health RD – Kaddo Bourani – Candied Pumpkin with Yogurt and Meat Sauce
- Yuri – Chef Pandita – Pumpkin Apple Soup
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense – Pumpkin Cream Pie Filling & Pudding
- Jessica Fishman Levinson – Nutritioulicious – Recipe Redux: Pumpkin Pancakes
- Jane Schwartz, RD -
- Kat Lynch – Eating The Week – Pumpkin yogurt dip for waffle sticks
- Katie Caputo- East Meats West – Pumpkin Stuffing
- Serena @ Teaspoon of Spice – Whole Pumpkin Cheddar Gratin
- Kristina @ Love and Zest – Pumpkin Mash
- Carrie Miller – Nutrition Know How – Baked Stuffed Pumpkin & Pumpkin Orange Muffins
- Ann Dunaway Teh – Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish – Pumpkin, Squash and Apple Soup
- Kara Lydon – Peace, Love, and Food – Pumpkin Yogurt Dip
- Stephanie Howard – Give Them Something Better – Fall Harvest Chili
- Ayla Withee- Eat Simply – Salt and Vinegar Pumpkin Seeds
- Heather Calcote – Dietitian on the Run – Pumpkin Rosemary & Mushroom Quinoa
- Jill Melton-The Relish Dish – Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin
- EA-The Spicy RD – Pumpkin Pesto Bruschetta
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex – Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen – Ghoulishly Good Stuffed Sugar Pumpkin
- Diane Welland – Eat Well, Eat Clean – Pumpkin Cranberry Scones